Alaska Medicare plans include options for Medigap, such as Plan F or Plan G. These plans supplement Original Medicare Parts A and B to provide full and comprehensive coverage for Medicare beneficiaries. There are considerably fewer people living in Alaska than in other states. This has affected the availability of Medicare Advantage plans, also called Part C.
Currently, there are no Medicare Advantage plans currently operating in Alaska. Medicare Advantage plans need to be able to form strong networks of providers. If there are not enough medical providers to form such a network in certain counties, then we sometimes see that no insurance companies offer Part C Medicare Advantage policies.
Alaska Medicare Plan F
Medicare Supplement Plan F is one of the most popular plans in the nation. This is because it provides first-dollar coverage. It pays both your hospital and outpatient deductible, and after Medicare pays 80% of your outpatient costs, Plan F pays the other 20%.
It even includes some foreign travel coverage. Many people like the idea of a plan that pays everything. It’s nice to go into the doctor’s office and have no copays. People on Alaska Medicare Plan F policies should not have to pull their wallets out for any Medicare services at either the doctor or hospital.
However, after January 1, 2020, Plan F will only be available to those whose Part A effective date is before the start of 2020.
Medicare Part D in Alaska
Medicare supplement plans do not include coverage for retail prescription drugs, though. Most Medicare beneficiaries will enroll in a standalone Part D drug plan. This functions as a pharmacy card. It will give you access to medications at lower copay prices than if you had to pay for the medication with no coverage.
There are at least 20 Part D plans available in Alaska. Be sure to evaluate each plans premium, formulary, and copays. Every plan is different, so it’s important to find the one that is best suited for you.
Alaska Medicare Enrollment
Enrolling in Medicare in Alaska is as easy as anywhere else. Residents can visit their local Social Security office to apply in person, or they can apply online at the Social Security website.
Although you can also enroll in Medicare via mail, we don’t recommend it. There are often delays due to mail processing times. You are eligible for Medicare enrollment up to 3 months before your 65th birthday month. Benefits will begin on the 1st of the month in which you turn 65 for most people.
Once your Part B is active, you can also apply for an Alaska Medigap plan. If you apply within 6 months after your Medicare Part B effective date, there is no underwriting. This means you are guaranteed to be approved for coverage. For this reason, it’s considered the best time to apply for Medigap.
Common Questions About Alaska Medicare:
Below are the most common questions we get about Medicare Supplements and Medicare Advantage plans in Alaska.
Currently, Alaska does not offer any Medicare Advantage plans. However, it does offer several Medicare Supplement plans.
Yes! Medicare Supplements travel with you throughout the United States, so you can use your Alaska Medicare Supplement at any doctor’s office in the country that accepts Medicare.
Although Part D is technically voluntary, if you don’t enroll in an Alaska Part D plan, not only will you not have prescription drug coverage, but you could face a lifelong late enrollment penalty too.
Help with Medicare in Alaska
Clueless about Medicare and not sure where to begin? We can help. Reach out to our friendly team of licensed agent experts. We’ll teach you how Medicare works and then help you find the Medigap plan that is best suited for you.